Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Coming Home

 When I think of “home,” I think of the place I first came to know my Father. It was the first place he and my mom brought me when I was born. It was the first place I realized I belonged. Not a house, but an understanding of what life would be. The first place where I knew, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that I had a purpose in my Father’s family. It was the intent of my parents that I would feel safe and cared for, pursued and known. It was home where they walked alongside me as I figured out who I was and how I was going to live this crazy adventure we like to call life.
    I fully believe that God inscribes a “home” on our hearts before we are even born. A place he chooses especially for each of us to invest in and fall in love with on earth before we reach our eternal home with Him. He had a place in mind for me – a place where He excitedly looked forward to seeing me first step foot on the soil and anticipated watching me come alive. He inscribed Africa on my heart long, long ago. Little did I know it would become home to me. Not a place where I would live forever, but a place where I would first come to know him as my Father; as my friend. This home was the first place I realized that He had a plan for my life that was so much bigger than myself; that there was a specific purpose for which He brought me into His family. The first time I went to Africa, I fell in love with the continent. The second time I went to Africa, I fell in love with Him.
     Summer 2013 in Cape Town, South Africa, was the first time I realized that God didn’t plan on me living in America forever. He had placed a desire in me to go to the nations that he faithfully cultivated throughout my childhood and into my young adult life. He cultivated by slowly but surely developing in me a need for adventure, adaptability to quick change, and passion for knowledge of other cultures. The first time I went to Cape Town, I was 11 years old. Thinking back now, 10 years later, I so clearly remember standing on top of table mountain and feeling this unfamiliar sensation of being so small, but realizing that my God was SO big. Though I didn’t realize it at the time, I know God was doing something in me in that moment. I can just picture Him with a look of pure giddy, eager to show me that He had already designated this place as my “home.” I see him excitedly watching my every step, my every interaction, watching me fall in love with this continent, with MY continent, and inventively crafting up ways to bring me back again. Little did I know, He would bring me back through a crazy journey of faith (see previous blog “This is the Story of how I fell in Love with Africa, June 2013). During my trip in 2013, I heard the Holy Spirit speak the verse Jeremiah 29:10- "I will fulfill my promise and bring you back to this place." And that's when I knew. I knew he would bring me back to the place where He showed me who He was. This trip was when God showed me more of his heart for his people, where he built in me a compassion for the lost and a desire to live my life daily working to fulfill the great commission. I was excited and expectant to see where this promise would lead.
“And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20
     After returning home, I was on fire for the gospel. I was eager to return to Africa and began the process of looking into the possibility of studying abroad in Cape Town while helping the long-term team plant a new church. About 6 months after deciding to study abroad and getting together most of the details, I had a tough conversation with my parents and ended up deciding not to go due to financial reasons. I gave into their authority and their opinions quickly, and after a lot of disappointment, I remembered God’s promise – that He would bring me back one day – and clung to that truth. Then the typical question arose: “But when...?”
    Because my original plan fell through, my housing plans for the coming year we’re not what I had anticipated. Since I had already planned on being gone spring of my junior year, I ended up deciding to study abroad with a Baylor program that I could afford because of my scholarship. I wasn’t really sure if it was what God wanted me to do. To be honest, I didn’t really ask him. I responded out of disappointment and confusion at my circumstances – I wasn’t going to Africa, I didn’t have a place to live, and I was convinced that Junior year was not going to be all it was cracked up to be.
    BUT GOD always has a plan that is far bigger than we can grasp. I am constantly in awe of the way God proves that His plan for me is far better than my own. Nothing that happened in this time frame was a surprise to him – it was his way of seeing if I would follow him in obedience, trusting that His way would be the best way.
    It’s World Mandate of my junior year, and I am sitting in the auditorium for worship. Our pastor walks on stage and gives a call to stand to our feet if we have a nation we are called to and we are willing and ready to go. In that moment, I know God was telling me to stand to my feet. I didn’t know why, how, or where. All I knew was that he had something in mind for me, and my first step was to stand. After I stood up, I looked around and realized that there were four people, including myself, standing in a perfect square right next to each other. When I recognized this, I felt the Holy Spirit whisper, “This is my team.” And then I realized: each one of them was going to Cape Town… next semester. From there, I began to ask God what He was saying, and felt certain that I was supposed to look into the idea of going to Africa in January.
    I had a feeling that I should think about going and taking a semester off of school, but had a fear of presenting that idea to my parents. Leave it to God to have the suggestion come from my dad's own mouth as I'm explaining to Him what God has been doing inside of me. Confirmation after confirmation came, and I heard God say to "move forward until a door slams in your face or until your stepping foot on the airplane ready to head over there." So, I pulled my deposit for the study abroad program I was enrolled in, talked to multiple people, and made the final decision.
I WILL BE IN CAPE TOWN IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS.
This just goes to show that God loves to fulfill the desires of our hearts- He places them there with good reason. He knew this plan all along, that He would have me defer from MY original plan and then have another possibility that would act as the perfect "placeholder" in my little Waco life until he called me to follow him and HIS plan to the place that he has made my home.
I'm going home.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:9

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for being nosy, but I saw your picture on instagram. I wanted to see where you were going.
    I, too, am a Bear.
    Your obedience is awesome! May God bless you and your family while you are separated. I know He is going to do mighty works because of your obedience.
    God bless and Sic 'Em.
    Christian Cowan '95

    ReplyDelete